Useful COVID-19 links
Government Website: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Leaflet: COVID-19 leaflet
COVID recovery: https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/
Barrow county council: https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/coronavirus/landingpage.asp
Parent Advice when Children are sick
Learning disabilities - New service for patients
Bereavement Support and Help
Mental Health and Well-being during COVID-19
Post COVID-19 information pack
Coronovirus Anxiety Workbooklet (developed by the Wellness society www.thewellnesssociety.org )
Local Organisations here to help
Cumbria County Council
Emergency Support Helpline for vulnerable people needing urgent help with food, medicines and essential supplies
Cumbria County Council and partners have launched an emergency support service and 6 welfare coordination Hubs for people at high risk of becoming seriously ill, as a result of COVID-19, and who do not have support available from friends, family or neighbours. If they have no alternative support, these people will now be able to call the Freephone number to request help with getting food, medicines, essential supplies and home deliveries.
Ways to get in touch:
- Phone - The emergency telephone support helpline is 0800 783 1966.
- Online - COVID-19 online support form.
- Email your request for help to COVID19support@cumbria.gov.uk.
- The telephone 'call' centre will operate Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and 10am to 2pm at weekends. The service will also accepts referrals from members of the public who may be concerned about people in their community. Find out more about the emergency helpline.
- The helpline is there to support those at 'high risk' and includes people over 70 years old, pregnant women and those with underlying health conditions who should be protecting themselves by staying at home. The majority of these people will already be receiving support from family, friends or local voluntary groups with tasks like shopping or collection of medicines if they require it. But we know that a small number of people will not have this support. The helpline will also accept referrals from members of the public who may be concerned about people in their community.
Mind in Furness
Closed for face to face but contact via
Telephone 01229 827094 (if no one answers, leave a message for a call back)
Telephone 116 123 (FREE)
Every Mind Matters
- immediate safety assessments
- support, connection
- Advice and information in accessible formats
- Signposting to specialist service
Telephone: 0300 303 2789
Support for those suddenly bereaved for any reason.
Telephone - 0800 2600 400
Barrow Citizens Advice
Closed for face to face but contact via
Advice line open Monday to Friday 9am -4pm
Telephone - 03444 889 624 or visit website
Women’s Community Matters
Check current status on Facebook, but if closed for face to face appointments then contact via
Telephone 01229 311102 or email email@example.com
Project John Hub – Homeless support for young people 16-24
Telephone 01229 832127 (if no one answers, leave a message for a call back)
Support for adult family members - emotional support or practical advice on parenting issues.
Contact via telephone, text message or email.
Call: 0808 802 6666, text: 07537 404282 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday to Friday: 9am – 3pm and 6pm – 9pm.
The Focus Family team are available to support our families experiencing hardship.
Hazel Chambers - for families regarding benefit advice.
Nicola Jackson – for general family concerns
Focus Family Mailbox: email@example.com
m: 07825 011005
Barrow Disability Association
No face to face appointments. Existing appointments will be conducted over the phone.
For any help call them on 01229 432599
Grants Information for Community Groups – contact Ali Greenhalgh at Cumbria CVS
https://cumbriacvs.org.uk (this link will open in a new window - popups must be allowed)
Volunteer support groups – social media
For people out there with access to Facebook, a number of Barrow support groups have been set up:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Community help (barrow & surrounding areas)
Barrow Health and Wellbeing Forum
These are run by members of the Barrow community and we are working with them to ensure that all information shared is factual and accurate
Food Bank Vouchers
Families who are already claiming benefits can contact
Ways to Welfare Telephone - 01228 221100 to request voucher
Other enquiries telephone the Food bank for advice on 01229343446
Barrow Foodbank is currently operating within our normal hours (see further down for opening hours), we are however monitoring the situation daily, please check our social media daily for any updates. Below is a list of our current operating procedures.
- If you or your service user is showing any of the symptoms of Corona Virus or feel you may have come in to contact with an infected person - PLEASE DO NOT COME IN THE VICINITY OF THE FOODBANK. GO HOME AND CALL US.
- To access the Foodbank a voucher is still required. Please do not send anyone to us without a voucher, at this present time we don’t have the staff, resources or time to deal with anyone who is isn't in receipt of one.
- We will only allow maximum of 2 people in at one time, please let your service users know they will have to wait outside in busy periods. Please make it clear they will have to adhere to the 2 metre distancing policy, both inside and out side the Foodbank, AT ALL TIMES.
- ID is still required, so ask them to bring it with them.
- No food or drink is being served.
- Food is pre-bagged for quickness.
- We are asking everyone to exit as soon as possible once they are in receipt of their food to reduce the spread of the virus
To reduce footfall in the foodbank and to make sure there is provisions within the community in the event we have to reduce or services or even close, we are suggesting core agencies order Emergency Foodboxes from us to hold at your premises, if you think this is something that would be of benefit, please get back to me.
We aren't currently offering a delivery service for those in isolation, we have been extremely lucky to be able to access the Support Hub who have picked up and delivered food parcels for us, I know the are extremely busy, we hope they can continue to work collaboratively with us.
Barrow Foodbank: Mon to Thurs - 11am - 1pm, Friday 11am - 3pm.
Ulverston Foodbank: has reduced its service and will be open Monday & Thursday 11am - 1pm for the foreseeable.
Millom Foodbank: Tuesday & Fridays 11am - 1pm.